Wednesday, October 2, 2013

You know what irks me?
Like, really gets under my skin?
When people assume that just because a boy is gay, that he is in love with every other boy on the planet. Or if a girl is a lesbian, she's obviously in love with every woman she sees.
That's like saying i, as a girl, am automatically in love with every male of my species that i happen to cross paths with. IT'S RIDICULOUS. People get so uncomfortable thinking "what if they like me".
Yes. They are attracted to your gender. Yes. They may find you nice to look at.
But how is that different than you catcalling at that girl. Or flirting with that boy?
You are just as creepy as you think they are. Society has just justified your feelings and actions as normal. I don't think gay is okay. But i don't hate people who identify as gay and i do my best to treat them as human beings. Because guess what? They ARE human beings. Just like you.
And so what if they do like you?
If they make advances that you find uncomfortable- ask them nicely to stop. Politely tell them you're not interested. Just like a girl turning down a boy she doesn't like.

A friend of mine once asked if two twin sisters who, as it turns out, are both lesbians, would be attracted to each other.
I said "That's like saying you must be attracted to your sister because she's a girl and you're a boy."
He understood my point and the conversation moved on, but it stuck with me.


Just because they're gay doesn't automatically mean that they're in love with you.
Just like because i'm straight doesn't automatically mean that i'm in love with a guy solely because he's a guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment